[Linganth] Denotation / Reference / Semantics for Ling Anth

Chip Zuckerman chipzuckerman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 17:56:26 UTC 2023

Dear Ling Anth list,

I am looking for recommendations for contemporary work in philosophy or
disciplinary linguistics on denotation / reference /semantics that you find
especially helpful for linguistic anthropologists or linguistic
anthropological theory.

At this point, there seem to be some classic touchstones for our
field--e.g., Putnam, John Lyons's *Semantics--*but I rarely see mention of
new work on denotation et cetera, except to write it off in general terms
as unhelpful. I'd love suggestions of exemplary things to read as I prepare
a graduate course I am putting together (tentatively called, "On
Denoting.").

Feel free to write to me directly with thoughts, and thanks in advance for
any leads,

--
Charles (usually, Chip) Zuckerman
Assistant Professor of Anthropology