[Linganth] Denotation / Reference / Semantics for Ling Anth

Alexander M. Thomson alexander.thomson at ucla.edu
Sat Nov 4 21:18:06 UTC 2023

Dear Prof. Zuckerman,

I saw your request for contemporary work on Denotation in Philosophy and
Linguistics. I recently read Saul Kripke's two essays, “Naming and
Necessity” and “Reference and Existence,” both of which have received some
acclaim from Analytic Philosophers, both of which also handled of
intriguing themes (e.g. statements about the [non-]existence of entities
like Unicorns, statements about the [non-]existence of fictional characters
like Sherlock Holmes, statements about the attributes or adjecta of
substances like Gold, etc). Maybe they'd work for your seminar? If not,
they at least contain citations to other works in the field (e.g. Russell's
“On Denoting,” Frege's “Über Sinn und Bedeutung,” Kant's *Prolegomena zu
einer jeden künftigen Metaphysik*, etc) and so, may serve as a springboard
of sorts.

Yours Sincerely,
Alexander M. Thomson

P.s. I'd be interested in receiving a copy of your syllabus once it's
finalized, seeing as my knowledge of the subject is itself quite sketchy.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 10:58 AM Chip Zuckerman <chipzuckerman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Ling Anth list,
>
> I am looking for recommendations for contemporary work in philosophy or
> disciplinary linguistics on denotation / reference /semantics that you find
> especially helpful for linguistic anthropologists or linguistic
> anthropological theory.
>
> At this point, there seem to be some classic touchstones for our
> field--e.g., Putnam, John Lyons's *Semantics--*but I rarely see mention
> of new work on denotation et cetera, except to write it off in general
> terms as unhelpful. I'd love suggestions of exemplary things to read as I
> prepare a graduate course I am putting together (tentatively called, "On
> Denoting.").
>
> Feel free to write to me directly with thoughts, and thanks in advance for
> any leads,
>
> --
> Charles (usually, Chip) Zuckerman
> Assistant Professor of Anthropology
> University of California, San Diego
> You can read some of my academic work here
> <https://anthropology.ucsd.edu/people/faculty/faculty-profiles/charles-zuckerman.html>
> .

Alexander M. Thomson, Ph.D.
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexander-thomson-ph-d-562b611b5