[LingGEOG] Conference on Pragmatics of Place; Belfast, Northern Ireland

Catherine Lee cl2013 at hawaii.edu
Wed Aug 3 06:49:05 UTC 2016

>From the LinguistList (apologies for cross-posting):

*The Pragmatics of Place: (Post)colonial Perspectives *

Date: 16-Jul-2017 - 21-Jul-2017
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Contact: Carsten Levisen

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis;
Pragmatics; Semantics

*Meeting Description:*

Carsten Levisen (Roskilde) & Eeva Sippola (Bremen)

In this panel, we explore the diversity of ways in which “place” is
construed and enacted in colonial and postcolonial discourse. Universalist
pragmatics has had little to say about place, let alone the pragmatics of
place across cultures and historical epochs. Within newer post-universalist
approaches to pragmatics, we can begin to study the historicity and
variability of “place discourses” constituted by words, metaphors,
grammars, narratives, memories, cosmologies, and linguistic worldviews. The
aim of this panel is to shed light on the cultural models and knowledges
that are at play in discourse and inscribed in people and produced by them
through socialization and recurrent discursive enactments.

We encourage contributions from a broad range of diversity-oriented
approaches to pragmatics, such as Postcolonial Pragmatics (Anchimbe &
Janney 2011; Schubert & Volkmann in press), Ethnopragmatics (Goddard 2006),
Discourse Analysis (Carbough 2007, Warnke & Busse 2014), Historical
Pragmatics (Taavitsainen & Jucker 2015), Ritual Communication (Basso &
Senft 2009), and similar approaches and fields. Contributions may address
(but are not restricted to) the following topics:

- Cultural scripts for thinking and talking about place
- Keywords of place enacted in cultural discourse
- Place-based grammatical features enacted in discourse
- Songs, rituals, and other discursive practices or genres associated with
place
- Political discourses of place (e.g., in land rights movements)
- Place name research and onomastic pragmatics

We give priority to empirically and emically grounded contributions that
can help explore speech practices across cultures and epochs. The panel
understands pragmatics in broad terms as the study of meaning-making in
cultural, historical, and situational contexts. We seek papers that can
help explore place-specific knowledges, conceptualizations of place, or
codes associated with people in specific places. A place, in this context,
can be highly localized (busses, beaches), ethnogeographical (cities,
nations), virtual (internet forums), or symbolic/mythical (terra australis,
paradise). Our focus on (post)colonial means that we are interested in
papers that can shed new light on (1) conceptions of place as associated
with colonial-era discourse and contemporary postcolonial discourse across
the globe, and/or (2) papers that can help deconstruct the Anglocentrism
(and Eurocentrism) of universalist pragmatics through comparative studies.