delocutive

Marianne Mithun mithun at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Wed Jun 12 15:42:58 UTC 2002

Dear Frans,

Sure. Central Alaskan Yup'ik has a derivational suffix -(a)r- which means
'say' or 'go ...'. (The a appears after a consonant.) It can follow
exclamations or other things, and fits in with the rest of the
derivational and inflectional morphology.

	aartuq
	aa-r-tu-q
	aa-say-INTRANSITIVE.INDICATIVE-3.SG
	'he is saying "aa"'

	camaiarpekenaku
	camai-ar-peke-na-ku
	hello-say-NEGATIVE-SUBORDINATIVE-R/3.SG
	'(they) didn't greet him'

(The word camai, actually cama=i is used as a greeting. It probably comes
from a demonstrative cama- 'down, towards the river, obscured', followed
by an enclitic =i used to form exclamations.)

Marianne Mithun