delocutive

Matti Miestamo matmies at LING.HELSINKI.FI
Thu Jun 13 08:22:09 UTC 2002

Dear Frans,

In Finnish we use -ttele- in this function. It is the regular
combination of two derivative suffixes: the causative -ttA- and the
frequentative -ele-. The combination is not restricted to the delocutive
function; it is productive, i.e. frequentatives can be derived from
causatives. The delocutive -ttele- can attach to your categories a-c (at
least; I can't think of any other uses right now).

In the following I will give the short form of the 1st infinitive and
the 1st person singular indicative present (in that order):

a) Pronouns:

sinutella, sinuttelen; 'to say "thou" to someone' (= German duzen); from
sinä 'you (sg)'

teititellä, teitittelen; 'to say "you" to someone'; from te 'you (pl)'
(the base seems to be teiti-, which is a form of the pronoun used in
some dialects, but in Standard Finnish only(?) in this verb)

b) Terms of address (basically anything goes, but pejorative terms are
probably more common):

raukoitella, raukoittelen; 'to say "raukka" to someone, to call someone
"raukka"'; from raukka 'coward, loser'

c) Interjections:

voivotella, voivottelen; 'to say "voi voi"'; from voi voi 'oh dear, dear
me, dear dear'

Best,
Matti

--

(Mr) Matti Miestamo
General Linguistics, University of Helsinki