iteratives

nbvint at NESSIE.MCC.AC.UK nbvint at NESSIE.MCC.AC.UK
Mon Aug 18 11:55:56 UTC 2003

I'm posting this query on behalf of my colleague Mair Parry at the
University of Bristol and I'd be grateful if any replies could be
copied to her (m.m.parry at bristol.ac.uk) since she is not a member of
this list. The query arose because in a paper she gave at the recent
Historical Linguistics conference in Copenhagen she referred to
constructions which convey the meaning 'do something and do it again'
as  iterative. The point was made in discussion that iteratives
typically allow for several repetitions of an action, and thus the
question arose as to what is the appropriate term (if any) for a
construction which refers to an action being done and then repeated
on one occasion only. Any terminological suggestions or references to
discussion of this issue in the literature would be welcome. Thank
you.

--
Professor Nigel Vincent
Department of Linguistics