re-

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Tue Aug 19 22:11:26 UTC 2003

Frans is correct about the title of Haj Ross' paper. I don’t believe Haj
ever published this paper, though he often gave it as a presentation.
Semanticists (Kenny, Mourelatos, etc) love examples like "We rang the
doorbell three times" (gave it three rings/rang it on three occasions).
Since any semelfactive can take adverbs, it still seems that re- is
understood as a  single repetition unless this meaning is overridden by an
adverb.

Typologically there is something more happening here. It does seem that
Haj’s "worded up" forms like re- (mis-, etc.) prefer transitive verbs,
though we must be careful not to be guided solely by intuitions. Just a
few minutes ago I heard someone say on the phone "No, we’re not
re-subscribing this year." The object of "Robin wants to hire a Belgian"
is ambiguous between referential and nonreferential readings, but the
object of "Robin wants to re-hire a Belgian" is only referential. In
"Leslie wrote a poem" the object is effected (=less transitive), but in
"Leslie re-wrote a poem" it is affected (=more transitive). And perfective
aspect, which tends to go along with transitivity, is often associated
with verbal prefixes (there are Indo-European, and, I think, Hungarian and
Georgian examples).

- Paul Hopper

--

Paul J. Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of the Humanities