Bernhard Waelchli Bernhard.Waelchli at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Tue Jul 11 13:18:31 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues

Sorry for mistakenly having sent to all my answer to Martin in the local
vernacular. Please, throw it away! Here is, however, a list of
references as a result of a query I posted some weeks ago about
typological studies based on original texts.

I have received answers by Peter Austin, Balthasar Bickel, Greville
Corbett, Matthew Dryer, Nick Evans, Martin Haspelmath, Kees Hengefeld,
Paul Hopper, Pieter Muysken, Michael Noonan, Paolo Ramat, Maria
Koptjevskaja-Tamm, Stephen Matthews, and Wolfgang Schulze, and I am
happy that what started as a simple information question also resulted
in some more general discussion.

Some of you argued that I should include a broader range of studies than
what I asked for (lower number of languages, other kinds of studies).
Since I find all the studies that have been pointed out to me highly
relevant and useful, I simply included everything I got (as far as I
could identify the references) and added some more. I certainly missed a
lot and am still grateful for additional references.

I am especially grateful to Paolo Ramat for having pointed out the
relevance of parallel texts and questionnaires as other additional
sources expanding the typologist's toolkit beyond reference grammars. In
addition, psycholinguistic approaches have to be mentioned, using
non-verbal stimuli for data collection, including the well-known Pear
stories and Frog stories. In my view these are all instances of a single
hyper-approach to data collection in typology, which I call "descriptive
typology", viz. all typological data collection processes based on
primary sources rather than descriptions and on exemplars rather than
abstractions.

Because the list of references got quite long, here is what corresponds
most prototypically to the original query:
- John Myhill's (1992) typological discourse analysis (including all the
previous work mentioned there, especially by Talmy Givón) (thanks to
Stephen Matthews and Kees Hengefeld for having pointed out this to me.)
- Matthew Dryer's about 1,000 datapoints based on texts in WALS (in a
total of more than 20,000 data points: it is really amazing, Matthew,
how you manage to do this!),
- Michael Noonan's (2003) unpublished work about referential density
(including much own fieldwork) [see also Bickel's 2003 study on
referential density, Balthasar is still working on it with a larger
sample of languages.]
- Tom Güldemann's (2001) unpublished study.

The references that follow are in no way exhaustive for exemplar-based
typological approaches. The list is strongly biased toward what has been
pointed out to me and toward what I have added to the list. Please, tell
me if you have some more. The list is certainly highly deficient,
especially in the domains of phonology and phonetics. Maybe it is
nevertheless of some use.

Kind regards
Bernhard Wälchli

LIST OF REFERENCES

Berlin, Brent & Kay, Paul. (1969). Basic color terms. Their universality
and evolution. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Berman, Ruth A. & Slobin, Dan Isaac et al. (1994). Relating events in
narrative. A crosslinguistic developmental study. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
Bernini, Giuliano & Ramat, Paolo. (1996). Negative sentences in the
languages of Europe. A typological approach. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
Biber, Douglas. (1995). Dimensions of register variation. A
cross-linguistic comparison. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Bickel, Balthasar. (2003). Referential density in discourse and
syntactic typology. Language 79: 708-36.
Bowerman, Melissa (1996). Learning how to structure space for language:
A crosslinguistic perspective. In: Bloom, Paul; Peterson, Mary A.;
Nadel, Lynn, Garrett, Merrill F. (eds.): Language and space. Cambridge,
Massachusetts, London: MIT Press, 385-436.
Bowerman, Melissa & Choi, Soonja (2001). Shaping meanings for language:
universal and language-specific in the acquisition of spatial semantic
categories. In: Bowerman, Melissa & Levinson, Stephen C. (eds.) Language
acquisition and conceptual development. Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press, 475-511.
Bybee, Joan & Hopper, Paul (eds) Frequency and the Emergence of
Linguistic Structure. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Chafe, Wallace L. (ed.) (1980). The pear stories. Cognitive, cultural
and linguistic aspects of narrative production. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
Corbett, Greville G. & Hippisley, Andrew & Brown, Dunstan & Marriott,
Paul. (2001). Frequency, regularity and the paradigm: a perspective from
Russian on a complex relation. In Bybee, Joan & Hopper, Paul (eds)
Frequency and the Emergence of Linguistic Structure. Amsterdam: John
Benjamins. pp. 201-226.
Cowgill, Warren. (1963). A search for universals in Indo-European
diachronic morphology. In Greenberg, Joseph H. Universals of Language.
Report of a conference held at Dobbs Ferry, New York, April 13 - 15,
1961. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
Cysouw, Michael & Wälchli, Bernhard (eds.). (2007 forthc.) Parallel
Texts. Using translational equivalents in linguistic typology. Theme
issue in Sprachtypologie & Universalienforschung STUF.
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~cysouw/pdf/STUF.pdf
<http://email.eva.mpg.de/%7Ecysouw/pdf/STUF.pdf>
Dahl, Östen. (1985). Tense and aspect systems. Oxford: Blackwell.
Dahl, Östen. (2000). Tense and aspect in the languages of Europe.
Empirical approaches to language typology. EUROTYP 6. 20,6. Berlin:
Mouton de Gruyter.
Da Milano, Federica. (2005). La deissi spaziale nelle lingue d'Europa,
Milano 2005. FrancoAngeli.
Dryer, Matthew cf. the many chapters by Matthew in Haspelmath et al. (2005).
Enfield, Nick J. & Majid, Asifa & van Staden, Miriam. (2006).
Cross-linguistic categorisation of the body: introduction. Language
Sciences 28.2/3, 137-147.
Greenberg, Joseph H. (1960). A quantitative approach to the
morphological typology of languages. International Journal of American
Linguistics 26: 178-194.
Greenberg, Joseph H. & O'Sullivan, Chris. (1974). Frequency, marking and
discourse styles with special reference to substantival categories in
the Romance languages. Working Papers on Language Universals 16: 47-72.
Güldemann, Tom. (2001). Quotative constructions in African languages: a
synchronic and diachronic survey. Habilitationsschrift Leipzig.
Hanks, William. (2000). Intertexts. Writings on language, utterance, and
context. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
Haspelmath, Martin. (1997). From space to time. Temporal adverbials in
the world's languages. München: Lincom.
Haspelmath, Martin & Dryer, Matthew & Gil, David & Comrie, Bernard
(eds.) (2005). The World Atlas of Language Structures. (Book with
interactive CD-ROM) Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN: 0-19-925591-1
Himmelmann, Nikolaus P. (1997). Deiktikon, Artikel, Nominalphrase. Zur
Emergenz syntaktischer Struktur. Tübingen: Niemeyer.
Himmelmann, Nikolaus P. (1998). Documentary and Descriptive Linguistics.
Linguistics 36, 161-195.
Juvonen, Päivi. (2000). Grammaticalizing the definite article: a study
of definite adnominal determiners in a genre of spoken Finnish.
Stockholm: University of Stockholm.
Laury, Ritva. (1997). Demonstratives in interaction. The emergence of a
definite article in Finnish. Benjamins: Amsterdam.
Levinson, Stephen C. (2003). Space in language and cognition.
Explorations in cognitive diversity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Lüpke, Friederike. (2006). Small is beautiful: contributions of
field-based corpora to different linguistic disciplines, illustrated by
Jalonke. Austin, P. (ed.). Language Documentation and Description, Vol
3. SOAS, University of London.
MacLaury, Robert E. (1997). Color and cognition in Mesoamerica.
Constructing categories as vantages. Austin, TX: University of Texas.
Majid, Asifa & Staden, Miriam van & Boster, James S. & Bowerman,
Melissa. (2004). Event categorization: a cross-linguistic perspective.
Proceedings of the Twenty-sixth Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science
Society.
Masica, Colin. (1976). Defining a linguistic area. South Asia. Chicago:
University of Chicago Press.
Myhill, John. (1992). Typological discourse analysis: quantitative
approaches to the study of linguistic function. Oxford: Blackwell.
Noonan, Michael. (2003). A cross-linguistic investigation of referential
density. Paper given at ALT V in Cagliari.
http://www.uwm.edu/People/noonan/Handout.combined.pdf
Pederson, Eric & Danziger, Eve & Wilkins, David & Levinson, Stephen &
Kita, Sotaro & Senft, Gunter. (1998). Semantic typology and spatial
conceptualization. Language 74.3: 557-589.
Pustet, Regina. (2004). On discourse frequency, grammar, and
grammaticalization. In Frajzyngier, Zygmunt & Hodges, Adam & Rood, David
S. (eds.). Linguistic diversity and language theories. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
Ricca, Davide. (1993). I verbi deittici di movimiento in Europa: una
ricerca interlinguistica. Firenze: La Nuova Italia.
Sasse, Hans-Jürgen & Behrens, Leila. (2002). The Microstructure of
Lexicon-Grammar-Interaction. A Study of "Gold" in English and Arabic.
LINCOM Studies in Theoretical Linguistics 32. München: Lincom.
Slobin, Dan I. (2004). The many ways to search for a frog: Linguistic
typology and the expression of motion events. In Strömqvist & Verhoeven,
eds.
Stolz, Thomas. (2004). Mediterraneanism vs. universal process: word
iteration in an areal perspective. A pilot-study. Mediterranean Language
Review.
Stolz, Thomas. (forthc.). Harry Potter meets Le Petit Prince: On the
usefulness of parallel literary corpora in crosslinguistic
investigations. In Cysouw & Wälchli (forthc.).
Stolz, Thomas & Gugeler, Traude. (2000). Comitative typology -- Nothing
about the ape, but something about king-size samples, the European
community and the little prince. Sprachtypologie und
Universalienforschung 53.1: 53-61.
Stolz, Thomas & Stroh, Cornelia & Urdze, Aina (2003). Solidaritäten.
Lingua Posnaniensis 45: 69-92.
van der Auwera, Johan & Schalley, Eva & Nuyts, Jan (2005). Epistemic
possibility in a Slavonic parallel corpus -- a pilot study. In Hansen,
Björn & Karlík, Petr (eds.), Modality in Slavonic languages. New
Perspectives. München: Verlag Otto Sagner., 201-217.
Strömqvist, Sven & Verhoeven, Ludo, eds. (2004). Relating events in
narrative, Vol. 2: Typological and contextual perspectives. Mahwah, NJ:
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Thieberger, Nicholas Augustus. (2004). Topics in the grammar and
documentation of South Efate, an Oceanic language of Central Vanuatu.
Melbourne: University of Melbourne.
Vries, Lourens de (forthc.). Some remarks on the use of Bible
translations as parallel texts in linguistic research. In Cysouw &
Wälchli (forthc.).
Wälchli, Bernhard. (2005). Co-compounds and natural coordination. Oxford
Studies in Typology and Linguistic Theory. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Wälchli, Bernhard. (2006). Typology of light and heavy 'again', or, the
eternal return of the same. Studies in Language 30, 1: 69-113.
Wälchli, Bernhard (in prep.) Descriptive typology, or, the typologist's
expanded toolkit.
http://ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/home/a20_11/waelchli/waelchli-desctyp.pdf
Woodbury, Anthony (2003). Defining documentary linguistics. In Peter
Austin (ed.) Language Documentation and Description. Vol.1, 35-51.
London: SOAS.