Volitional patients

Jóhanna Barðdal johanna.barddal at NOR.UIB.NO
Thu Mar 23 11:21:42 UTC 2006

This last discussion shows that notions of themtic/semantic roles are highly
problematic, and as I argued both in my dissertation on case in Icelandic (which
Ashild cited) and in a 2004 paper on the semantics of the "oblique" subject
construction in Icelandic, German and Faroese, they should be dispensed with
from linguistic theory.