Volitional patients

Michael B. Smith smith at OAKLAND.EDU
Fri Mar 24 17:25:16 UTC 2006

The recent postings on this interesting topic reminded me of a paper of
mine from 2001 that deals with similar issues in Icelandic and (to some
extent) German:

Smith, Michael B. 2001. Why quirky case really isn't quirky, or how to
treat dative sickness in Icelandic. Polysemy in Cognitive Linguistics, ed.
by Hubert Cuyckens and Britta Zawada, John Benjamins, 115-159.

Among other things, the paper argues that the non-nominative
(i.e. dative or accusative) case marking that appears on the apparent
subjects of some Icelandic verbs, as well as the dative case marking that
appears on the apparent direct objects of many verbs, is semantically
motivated and not arbitrary.

Dative case on a given nominal, for example, can be seen to indicate that the
nominal that is so marked has a subset of semantic properties reminiscent
of and/or associated with the prototypical experiencer role, even though
the array of experiencer-like properties will vary somewhat depending on
the particular meaning of the verb that selects the dative case.

Michael B. Smith
Department of Linguistics
Oakland University
Rochester, MI 48309