lexical/phrasal stress in alphabetisms

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Wed Aug 1 09:22:21 UTC 2007

Larry,

Yes, the connection to other lists such as phone numbers seems
plausible. On the other hand, phone numbers are just lists, whereas
alphabetisms are words. And the fact that in Swiss German, alphabetisms
are often not stressed on the last letter, seems to support my
conjecture (French borrowings also get initial stress in Swiss German).
Also, the fact that contrastive stress can be lexicalized (as in German
'PKW, which is stressed on the first syllable also when it does not
occur next to 'LKW) seems to show that we're not dealing with phrasal
expressions synchronically. (Or maybe there are also phrases with
lexicalized contrastive stress?)

Anyway, we clearly need more data from more languages, though it will be
hard to find languages whose alphabetisms are not influenced by French
or English. (Are there alphabetisms in Georgian, Armenian, or the
languages of south and Southeast Asia that use a non-Latin script?)

Martin