Pronouns in Euraisa and elsewhere

Florian Siegl florian.siegl at GMX.NET
Tue Aug 7 09:31:56 UTC 2007

Dear fellow typologists,

I'm looking for instances and references concerning personal pronoun
borrowing [equivalents of I, YOU, HE] in Eurasia. Available literature
concentrates on the Americas, South and South-East Asia but as far as
Eurasia is concerned, I have not yet found more instances than one clear
example (Ket --> Forest Enets). However, this example did not make it
into the general literature so far and I wonder if pronoun borrowing is
really so extraordinary in Eurasia and whether there are no other known
instances.

My second question concerns pronouns in a global context; Are there any
languages attested whose personal pronouns are derived from lexemes such
as body or any other possible body part and if yes, are these pronouns
considered to be etymologically old or are they more recent
grammaticalizations? Any reference welcome...

Best wishes,

Florian Siegl