AW: AW: word order of cardinals

bingfu Lu lubingfu at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 21 13:41:40 UTC 2007

Dear Thomas,
  Thanks for your informative message!
  Your information is consistent with our data.
  What we are interested most is the likely implicational universal as follows:
  If ordinal numeral precedes the head noun, cardinal numerals do as well.

  What we request for are, first, whether the universal is valid in your data;
  second, whether the universal has been proposed in the literature; third, the respective numbers of languages of OrdN-CardN, NOrd-NCard and OrdN-NCard (and OrdN-CardN if any).

  If ordinals behave more adjective-like than cardinals, then, the proposed universal is quite expectable, according to Greenberg¡¯s Universal 18 (When the descriptive adjective precedes the noun, the demonstrative and the numeral, with overwhelmingly more than chance frequency, do likewise).
  Greenberg does not distinguish cardinal and ordinal numerals here. Our current investigation is based on the distinction of the two kinds of numerals. A further question is whether ordinals are descriptive. ¡®First, second¡¯ may be if interpreted as ¡®primary, secondary¡¯, but how about other ordinals?
  In passing, we are investigating the relative order between cardinals and ordinals when they both co-occur on the same side of the noun. Our expectation that if both precede, the order is always Card-Ord-N, while both follow, both order are possible, following the pattern of adjectives and numerals in general.

  We hope we can find some answer to our inquiries in the literature you mentioned, which we are still looking for.

  Best
  Bingfu

Thomas Stolz <stolz at UNI-BREMEN.DE> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Dear Bingfu,

  thanks a lot for your answer. Yes, I noticed that there were typos in the original mail.

  The higher degree of adjective-like properties of ordinals as opposed to cardinals is quite wide-spread. For instance, in my native German, only the cardinal ONE behaves like an adjective (agreement in case and gender) whereas the bulk of the cardinals is indeclinable. However, all and each ordinal has to agree in gender, case and number with its so-called head noun. Note that in German, cardinals and ordinals precede the noun.

  More or less the same picture can be found in other SAE-like languages such as Italian (ONE is like an adjective, from TWO upwards cardinals remain uninflected whereas [ideally] all ordinals inflect for gender and number according to the agreement rules; in addition, Italian cardinals precede the noun whereas ordinals may be positioned pre-nominally [= preferred position] as well as post-nominally [= marked position under very particular conditions] ¨C and thus behave syntactically a bit more like Italian adjectives which are normally in post-nominal position).

  I am pretty sure that you¡¯ll encounter many such cases throughout (¡°Indo-¡°)Europe. Have a look at Romance, Germanic, Celtic for that matter (as you already know the Slavic data). By the way, I forgot to tell you that in our project on the Grammar of Ordinaly at the university of Bremen, there are two more people involved, viz. my assistant-to-be Maxim Gorshenin and at Stockholm University, Ljuba Veselinova with whom I have been working on ordinals for quite some time.

  Please keep in touch and let us know what you have found out about ordinals in the languages of the area you are scrutinizing.

  Best wishes.

  Thomas

  Prof. Dr. Thomas Stolz
  Universität Bremen