nasality and negation

Matti Miestamo matmies at LING.HELSINKI.FI
Fri Aug 31 16:10:21 UTC 2007

I fully agree with what Matthew just wrote. The sources of negative
morphemes that I mentioned contain areal and genealogical information on
the languages so these factors can be taken into account. I would
certainly not suggest a simple count without paying attention to the
stratification of the sample. I also agree that a serious study of the
issue should pay attention to the phonological system of each language,
how nasals relate to other phonemes in terms of frequency etc. As I
said, the lists I mentioned could provide (only) preliminary data (for a
pilot study).

Best wishes,
Matti

--

Matti Miestamo,
Research Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies

Homepage at the Department of General Linguistics, University of
Helsinki: <http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~matmies/>.