"World" subjects of meteorological predicates

Prof. Dr. Elena Skribnik Elena.Skribnik at FINN.FAK12.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Mon Feb 18 13:44:24 UTC 2008

In Ob-Ugric languages Khanti (Ostyak) and Mansi (Vogul), spoken in West
Siberia, meteorological verbs are normally used without a subject. Still, it
is possible to use dummy subjects here: t¾r?m 'sky; Sky god; weather' or
?at? 'day; sun'. The following examples are from Kazym Khanty:

(1a)      Iskat=as

get:cold=Past:3sg

'It got cold';

(1b)     T¾r?m iskat=as

            sky       get:cold=Past:3sg

            'It (lit. The weather) got cold'

(2a)      Patl=?s

            get:dark=Past:3sg

'It got dark'

(2b)     ?at?=?w          patl=?s

            day=Poss1pl    get:dark=Past:3sg

            'It (lit.: our day) got dark';

With 'rain' it is possible to use the same stem as dummy subject:

(3a)      J?rt=??

            rain=Pres:3sg

'It rains'

(3b)     J?rt     j?rt=??

            rain      rain=Pres:3sg

'It (lit. rain) rains'.

[Solovar 1990: 22-24] lists 11 verbs of nature states: j¾l??mt= 'get cool
(inside the house)', m?lk?t= 'get warm', iskat= 'get cold (in autumn)',
tewan?='get calm', ?t?rm?= 'get clear and frosty', ji?at= 'get cool', patl?=
'get dark', j?rt= 'rain', ?O??t= 'crack from heat', now?mat= 'dawn',
rìm??mt= 'get dark (at dusk)'; the last three can be used only without a
subject.

In Mansi the dummy subject is tor?m 'Sky-god, sky, weather', which is almost
never used in everyday speech. With 'rain', 'snow', 'wind' the stem can be
doubled; Rombandeeva (1979: 35) considers it a contrasting technique:

(1)       Teli      tujt     tujt=i,                         tui
rakw    rakw=i

winter   snow    snow=Pres:3sg summer            rain      rains=Pres:3sg

'In winter it snows, in summer it rains (lit. snow snows, rain rains)'.

Note that meteorological sentences often contain a temporal expression or a
localizer; the localizer kon 'outside' is frequent enough, though it is not
analyzed as a dummy subject:

(2)       Kon                 saka    wot=i

            outside             very     wind=Pres:3sg

'It is windy outside' (lit. Outside very winds);

(3)       Kon                 ?ot?l=as

            outside             light=Past:3sg

'It dawned outside'.

More about 'surroundings': the Mongolic language Buryat has a construction
'state of environment', consisting of an adjectival predicate and a
localizer, the most frequent being gazaa 'outside', compare:

(1a)      Ger      soo      xüjten

            house   in         cold

            'It is cold in the house';

(1b)     Gazaa xüjten

            outside cold

            'It is cold (outside)'.

Some additional interesting facts: The antonym to gazaa is dosoo 'inside',
and it is used in a similar construction, but metaphorically - with
adjectives of emotional states:

(2)       Dosoo=ny         gansata         xüxüü              bolo=bo

            inside=Poss3sg at once            cheerful
become=Past:3sg

            'He became cheerful instantly'.

At least one Buryat grammar analyzes gazaa / dosoo as dummy subjects
(Dorziev 2005:41).

Dorziev, D.-N.D. 2005: Münöönei Buryaad xelen. Sintaksis [Modern Buryat
syntax]. Ulaan-Üde: "Belig" xeblel. (In Buryat)

Rombandeeva, E.I. 1979: Sintaksis mansijskogo (vogul'skogo) yazyka. [Mansi
(Vogul) syntax.] Moscow: "Nauka".

Solovar, Valentina 1990: Predlozenie v xantiyskom yazyke [Khanty simple
sentence]. Novosibirsk: Novosibirsk state university.

Best regards,

Elena Skribnik