'World' subjects of meteorological predicates

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Mon Feb 18 14:23:32 UTC 2008

Meillet (in the "Introduction a l'etude comparative des langues indo-europeennes") also noted for early Indo-European languages that the sky-god (Zeus, Jupiter) appeared as the subject of weather verbs (Juppiter pluit, etc.)

Paul Hopper

--
Paul J. Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of Humanities