'World' subjects of meteorological predicates

hartmut at RUC.DK hartmut at RUC.DK
Mon Feb 18 17:38:19 UTC 2008

Scrive Paul Hopper <hopper at CMU.EDU>:

| Meillet (in the "Introduction a l'etude comparative des langues
| indo-europeennes") also noted for early Indo-European languages that the
| sky-god (Zeus, Jupiter) appeared as the subject of weather verbs (Juppiter
| pluit, etc.)
|

| Paul Hopper

Also "Iuppiter tonat" and you would wonder how he did /that/!
Also in Classical Greek: Zeus hu:e: (or hyei or how you want to transcribe it).
The theory I have heard claims that the subject could be left out as
understood, thus turning an action verb into a process verb. I would check this
at least in a good dictionary (I don't have access to Liddel&Scott for Greek
right where I am now, but can check later).

Hartmut Haberland