'World' subjects of meteorological predicates

Claire Bowern bowern at RICE.EDU
Mon Feb 18 18:12:58 UTC 2008

This from the Middle Liddell:

Zeus hu:e 'Zeus sends rain' (Homeric, etc)
ho theos hu:ei 'God sends rain': Herodotos
'then, the nom. being omitted, huei used impers, Lat pluit, Hesiod,
Herodotos
2. with accusative of place. hepta eteo:n ouk hu:e te:n The:re:n (seven
years not rained fem.acc Thera.acc) 'It didn't rain on Thera for seven
years.'
..hence in passive 'to be rained on'
3. with cognate object: hu:se khruson 'it rained gold' (Pindar); kainon
aei Zeus huei hudo:r (Aristophanes), untranslated in L&S but something
like 'Zeus is always raining new water'

Claire