Possession/modification by simple juxtaposition

Jan Rijkhoff linjr at HUM.AU.DK
Sat Nov 22 21:51:00 UTC 2008

Here is an example from Bukiyip (Conrad 1991: 60):

   Manohweh   buwul
   Manohweh   pig
   'Manoweh's pig

and one from Nasioi (Rausch 1912: 119, 120)

   Mateasi   bauran
   Mateasi    daughter
   'Mateasi's daughter'

Conrad, Robert J. (with Kepas Wogiga). 1991. An outline of Bukiyip grammar (Pacific Linguistics C-113). Canberra: Australian National University.
Rausch, P.J. 1912. Die Sprache von Südost-Bougainville, Deutsche Salominsinseln. Anthropos 7, 105-134, 585-616, 964-994.

Jan Rijkhoff
Dept. of Linguistics, University of Aarhus
Ndr. Ringgade 1, Building 1410, Office 338
DK-8000  Aarhus C, DENMARK
Map: http://www.au.dk/en/hum/lingvist/map.htm
Phone: (+45) 8942 6550   *   Fax (+45) 8942 6570
E-mail: linjr at hum.au.dk
Home page: http://person.au.dk/en/linjr@hum