demonstrative or pronoun?

Viktor El=?ISO-8859-2?B?ue0=?=k viktor_elsik at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 7 17:00:23 UTC 2009

Dear David,

as for Czech:

a) One most commonly says/writes TADY (JE) HONZA [here (is) John], mostly
without the copula. Another option is to say TO JSEM JÁ, HONZA [that am I,
John] "it's me, John" (note that the copula agrees with the 1st person
pronoun) - perhaps too long a construction to be regularly used in a text
message. In the text message context, you can also write PÍŠE HONZA [writes
John] in the beginning of the message (or, of course, just sign yourself at
the end).

b) The demonstrative construction TO JE HONZA [that is John] (the copula
cannot be deleted here) can only be used in your context if Bill previously
asks KDO JE TO / KDO TO JE? [who is that / who that is] "who is it?", and
even so it is a much less felicitous response than TO JSEM JÁ, HONZA or TADY
HONZA. If Bill's question does not contain the demonstrative, e.g. KDO VOLÁ?
[who calls] "who is calling?", the demonstrative construction cannot be
used. The proximate demonstrative construction TOTO/TOHLE JE HONZA [this is
John] is impossible in your context.

c) The pronoun construction JÁ JSEM HONZA [I am John] can only be used in
your context if Bill previously asks KDO JSI/JSTE? [who are.2sg(familiar
/polite)] "who are you?".

So Czech differs from both Polish and Russian in this respect.

Best regards,
Viktor