Expression of threat

Artūras Judžentis arturas.judzentis at LKI.LT
Mon Jan 11 16:27:36 UTC 2010

Dear Alexander,

In Lithuanian the same construction is possible, e.g.:

(1) a.    Jonas            vaikšt-o              po          mūs-ų
sod-ą.
           Jonas(NOM)  walk-3SG.PRS.  along       our-GEN.PL.
garden(M)-ACC.SG.
           Jonas walks in our garden.

     b.    Aš               jam                    pa-vaikšč-io-s-iu!
           I.NOM       he.DAT.SG.        PF-walk-INCH.-FUTURE-1SG.
           I will make him something bad, because he walks (there)!

The other construction, however, is also possible:

Aš          jam                 pa-rody-s-iu,                    kaip
vaikšč-io-ti          po      mūs-ų            sodą!
I.NOM  he.DAT.SG    PF-show-FUTURE-1SG. how walk-INCH.-INF along
our-GEN.Pl. garden(M)-ACC.SG.
"I'll teach (lit. show) him how to walk in our garden!"

Artūras Judžentis
Department of the Lithuanian Language
University of Vilnius