linguistics publication and other fields

Jan Anward janan at ISK.LIU.SE
Mon Mar 29 19:24:39 UTC 2010

Not in all branches of medicine yet, thank God, but even in a field
such as speech pathology, the pressure is there, as I learn from close
colleagues of mine. And of course, in any field, there will always be
a few token 'oldies', that you must cite, like our Saussure 1916.

I agree that there are types of edited volumes we can live without:
Festschrifts, permissive conference volumes, and volumes that no-one
can afford and that never get published electronically. Nevertheless,
there is a division of labor among our traditional ways of publishing
that I think is worth preserving. To take just one example: no bunch
of scattered articles would ever have made the same impact as the old
edited volume Subject and Topic. And as you yourself writes, research
monographs, a.k.a.  books, obviously have a distinct ecological niche.
It is of course a very good idea to try and recreate that diversity
within the bounds of what the powers that be recognize as articles.

But, and that brings me back to my original point, why should we be
stifled by a stone age technology, which can only count articles? Both
books and journals exist in electronical form nowadays, and developing
a  comprehensive citation index is an engineering problem that
certainly is not intractable.

Jan