positioning of 'property concepts' in the NP

Carol Genetti cgenetti at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Tue Mar 30 01:06:21 UTC 2010

Dear Fritz,

Manange (a Tibeto-Burman language spoken in Nepal) might have what you are
looking for. There are two classes of adjectives, "simple" adjectives,
which don't inflect like verbs or nouns, and "verb-like" adjectives, which
(unsurprisingly) do inflect like verbs. Both of these precede the noun
within the noun phrase, whereas regular verbs that modify nouns are put
into relative clauses which are post-nominal.

The data for this comes from Kristine Hildebrandt's extensive fieldwork.
Details can be found in the following reference:

Genetti, Carol and Kristine Hildebrandt. 2004. “The two adjective classes
in Manange.” Co-Author Kristine Hildebrandt. Dixon, R. M. W. and Alexandra
Aikhenvald (eds.) Adjective Classes: A cross-linguistic typology.
(Explorations in linguistic typology 1.) Oxford: Oxford University Press.
74-96.

Hope this helps!

Yours,
Carol

--On Monday, March 29, 2010 12:56 PM -0700 Frederick J Newmeyer