positioning of 'property concepts' in the NP

Åshild Næss ashildn at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 30 05:58:36 UTC 2010

Dear Fritz,

in Äiwoo, one of the recently reclassified Reefs-Santa Cruz languages of the
eastern Solomon Islands (now considered to be Oceanic), the usual way of
modifying a noun is with a verb, with or without the nominalising prefix *mi
*- (the difference seems to be to do with whether the property in question
is intended to uniquely identify the noun or just describe it); the
modifying verb always follows the noun: *betepu (mi)laki* 'a small basket'.
*Laki* 'small' in other contexts can take e.g. tense-aspect-mood morphology
and clearly behaves like a verb.

However, I've identified two lexemes to date which function as prenominal
modifiers and don't take verbal morphology: *nuwola* 'old' and
*nyibängä*'big, huge', e.g.
*nuwola nupwää nugu* 'my old clothes', *nyibängä täpilo* 'a big bowl'. There
may be more of these in the language that I haven't discovered yet.

Best,

Åshild Næss