Antipassives without overt expression of O

Alexander Letuchiy alexander_letuchiy at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 22 09:10:42 UTC 2011

Dear Stefanie and everyone,

In Adyghe, a West Caucasian (Circassian) language, the antipassive / object impersonal meaning is expressed by the change of the final root vowel from schwa to -e. Interestingly this operation goes in different ways for verbs 'eat' vs. 'drink' and 'read' vs. all other verbs:

- with all verbs but 'eat', 'drink' and 'read' in antipassive forms, the patient cannot be expressed in any way. The antipassive verb is morphologically intransitive and monovalent: the former A becomes an S, is marked with absolutive and cross-referenced with absolutive prefixes:

a-š'             pis'me-r          je-txǝ
that-OBL  letter-ABS   DYN (dynamic verb)-write (transitive)
'he writes a letter'

a-r             ma-txe
that-ABS    DYN-write (antipassive)
'he writes' (patient is unexpressable)

- with 'eat' in the antipassive form, the patient can be expressed, but with an instrumental peripheral NP which does not take part in verbal cross-reference

a-š'              lǝ-r             je-šxǝ
that-OBL   meat-ABS   DYN-eat (transitive)
'he eats meat'

a-r            (lǝ-č̣'e)       ma-šxe
that-ABS      meat-INS    DYN-eat
'he eats - or, with instrumental, he feeds on meat'

- finally, with 'read' and 'drink' in antipassive forms, the patient is expressed with an oblique NP, the verb is intransitive bivalent, and the patient is morphologically marked as an indirect object (I think the letter is a bit too long but I can also send these examples).

Yours sincerely,

Alexander Letuchiy, Moscow