Phoneme inventory arguments and tone

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Wed Jun 1 21:38:51 UTC 2011

I agree with what others have said. Pike treated tones similarly to other segments and was a pioneer in this (though he did refer to "tonemes").

I have said on occasion that Piraha has 11 phonemes for men and 10 for women. But it also has two tones so, unless I use Pike's terminology, it has 13/12 phonemes. Guess we should be consistent.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone