Case marking variation based on discourse

Seino van Breugel seinobreugel at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 14 14:15:53 UTC 2012

Dear Don,

First, I find Halliday 1994, *An introduction to functional grammar, second
edition* a great book to understand the difference between topic and focus.
Second, in a fieldwork setting, I would try to set up a recording session
with two or more speakers in which you give them a two-component problem to
discuss. This way, you expect, the speakers will switch topics continuously
and you can get some insight in the marking of topic and focus elements.

Best wishes,

Seino

--
Dr. Seino van Breugel