given names

Chao Li chao.li at AYA.YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 22 23:44:25 UTC 2012

Dear Giorgio,

What I meant was that, *to me*, it is not the case that "*many* names [in
Chinese] are gender-neutral". To me, just *some* names are gender-neutral.
But I certainly agree with you that spoken form involves more ambiguity and
makes it harder to tell whether a name is male name or female name.

Best,
Chao