Font-related problem for linguists

Rik rdbusser at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 2 08:15:37 UTC 2012

I agree with Jan that this is not an oversight of the Unicode
consortium. In fact, modern Unicode-compliant font formats, like
Opentype, allow alternate glyphs to be defined for individual Unicode
code points. In other words, you can define a number of variants of each
letter. This feature was included to be able to use ligatures,
context-dependent flourishes on capital letters, and similar
typographical tricks that are needed to produce a perfect text. This
should make it a piece of cake to design an italics font where you can
choose between the typographic variants <a> and <ɑ> for the character a.

The problem? There are currently almost no word processors that actually
allow you to manually select these alternate glyphs, even if they are
included in your font. The internet told me something like this is
supported in Word 2010, but I didn't try it out and it probably involves
going into obscure menus.

You can use alternate glyphs in advanced desktop publishing tools such
as Adobe Indesign (see https://www.adobe.com/type/opentype/ and scroll
to 'Advanced typography' for an example), but I wouldn't want to use one
of those things to write an article...

Best,
Rik