Font-related problem for linguists

Don Killian donald.killian at HELSINKI.FI
Fri Mar 2 08:57:08 UTC 2012

While it's not precisely an oversight, it is however a possible
solution, and in fact the most plausible one.  Despite Jan's comment
about picking this symbol as an IPA character being wise, I don't
foresee any changes to the IPA in this respect any time soon. The IPA
was designed more than a hundred years ago, when this wasn't an issue.

Alternate glyph choice is what I am currently doing with Charis SIL;
OpenOffice does support this, as does LaTeX via the Graphite renderer.
And in fact the reason I put this on SIL's shoulders rather than Unicode
in the beginning is that their fonts actually DO support all the
characters you need, they just never come like this by default.  I was
simply trying to encourage them to distribute a font which explicitly
mentions being able to handle italicized IPA by default.

And in case you can't select font glyphs (such as in most versions of
Word or other Uniscribe-based applications), it's really not that
difficult to use the typetuner to make your own font with italicized a
and æ.  Nonetheless, I still feel that having an officially supported
and distributed font is important.

Whether it's by means of introducing a Unicode position for a and æ, or
more widely available (and understandable!) support for alternate glyph
choices, either are OK, so long as linguists who work with languages
with these phonemic distinctions are not put at a disadvantage simply
due to typographic conventions.

Incidentally, the Unicode consortium has now been contacted about the
matter (apparently again, if SIL had already had a pending request), and
if I hear back from them I will let you all know what I find out. Until
something changes either on SIL's side or on Unicode's side, I believe a
typetuned Charis SIL is our current best option, and I can just hope
that journals won't be too picky about having your own customized font.

Best,

Don