nominal-internal person agreement

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sat Sep 29 04:43:51 UTC 2012

Dear all,

Roon (an Austronesian language of the South Halmahera West New Guinea
group spoken in the Cenderawasih Bay region) has similar constructions,
with NP-internal quantifiers and demonstratives agreeing in number,
gender and person with their nominal heads.

I recently gave a conference paper titled "Person Marked Noun Phrases",
providing a world-wide typological study of person marking within noun
phrases, of which the construction mentioned by Steve Wechsler is a
particular case.  In a nutshell, the construction seems pretty rare
worldwide, with a cluster in west New Guinea, plus isolated instances in
Nama and Classical Nahuatl.  However, not all of the languages with
person marked noun phrases have the kind of agreement pattern
illustrated in Zulu below.  For example, Papuan Malay has person marked
noun phrases but no NP-internal agreement involving quantifiers or other
such attributive modifiers.

BTW, it is indeed very important to ascertain that in a string such as
the Zulu example below, the pronoun and the quantifier form a
constituent.  In Hebrew, for example,, analogous strings are also
grammatical, but the quantifier is adverbial and not part of the subject NP.

Best,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/