VS: nominal-internal person agreement

Daniel W. Hieber dwhieb at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 29 12:28:35 UTC 2012

Swahili has this feature too, unsurprisingly:

sisi s-ote
we 1p-all
'all of us'

ninyi ny-ote
you(pl.) 2p-all
'all of you'

Interestingly, you can also omit the pronoun and just say sote, nyote, wote, etc.

Other examples:

Sisi sote tu-me-kwend-a ku-le.
We all 1p-PERF-go-IND LOC-DEM
'We have all gone there.'

Ki-tamba ch-ote ni ki-chafu.
7-cloth 7-all COP 7-dirty
'All the cloth is dirty.'
'The whole cloth is dirty.'

Ny-umba z-ote ni z-angu.
10-house 10-all COP 10-1s.POSS
'All the houses are mine.'

Examples are taken from the following source, and my grammatically judgements agree with all of them.

Wilson, Peter. 1970. Simplified Swahili. Essex: Longman.

Best,

Danny

Omnis habet sua dona dies. ~ Martial