query: grammaticalization go/be.in > negation

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Thu Jan 31 16:10:40 UTC 2013

An adjective complement of English 'go'  has a negative force, e.g. go
bad, bankrupt, missing, crazy, postal [see
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/159050.html], but not *cheerful,
*prosperous, etc.

- French pas?

Paul Hopper

> Dear David,
>
> In Tamazight of Ayr Ndhir the negator of predications of identity
> appears to be composed of the negative particle/prefix ur and a form
> of the verb go -idd
>
> (Penchoen, 1973: 63)
> a.	ism	uryaz-aḏ	ur-idd	ḥusa
> this	man-this	NEG-go	Husa
> ’This man’s name is not Husa’
>
> b.	ur-idd	llə	b ɛaya
> 	NEG-go	play	this
> 	‘This is no game’
>
> I haven't been able to verify this for other varieties of Tamazight.
> Generally, it is my impression that this kind of extension is
> relatively rare but it may be the case that it just hasn't been
> studied properly. Matthew Juge (1998) has a paper on the overlapping
> suppletion between the paradigms of ser and ir in Spanish; these verb
> share the same suppletive form in the preterite . It's true it is the
> affirmative variants of the verbs but still.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ljuba
>
> References
> Juge, Matthew. 1998. On the Rise of Suppletion in Verbal Paradigms. Ms.,
> BLS 25.
> Penchoen, Thomas G. 1973. Tamazight of the Ayt Ndhir. Los Angeles:
> Undena Publications.
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Everett, Daniel <DEVERETT at bentley.edu>
> wrote:
>> In Pirahã, David, the relevant construction is:
>>  hi-ab-áo-b-á
>> it-negative-completive-perfective-remote (out of control of speaker)
>>
>> hi-ab-a (without aspectual morphology) is used for 'no' or 'didn't'
>>
>> The former has the sense of 'to have run out' but is very similar in
>> many contexts to 'allgone.'
>>
>> -- Dan
>>

>> On Jan 31, 2013, at 6:53 AM, Hewitt, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Hello David,
>>>
>>> In Breton, yes.
>>>
>>> Aed   eo      toud
>>> Gone  is3sg   all
>>> "it's all gone"
>>> With the same meaning as in English. In French you have to use the verb
>>> "partir" = leave, not "aller" = go.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>>> Steve Hewitt
>>> 30 rue Charles Baudelaire
>>> 75012 PARIS
>>> France

--
Paul J. Hopper,
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of Humanities Emeritus,

Adjunct Professor of Linguistics,
Department of Linguistics,
University of Pittsburgh.

Senior External Fellow,
School of Linguistics and Literature,
Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS),
Freiburg i.Br., Germany