query: grammaticalization go/be.in > negation

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Thu Jan 31 23:02:28 UTC 2013

Italian has a passive periphrasis constructed with the verb andare 'go' which can only be used with verbs which express a negative outcome. Thus:

La casa è andata distrutta 'the house was (lit. went) destroyed'
La lettera è andata perduta 'the letter got (went) lost'

but not:
*La casa è andata costruita 'the house went built'
*La lettera è andata trovata 'the house went found'

Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Professor Emeritus of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Vice-President for Research & HE Policy, The British Academy

Linguistics & English Language
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL