verificative

Plank frans.plank at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Mon Jul 29 16:30:55 UTC 2013

Dear Misha, Timur, et al.,

its author isn't on the ball today, which must mean he is vacationing in some out of the way place (such as the hinterland of Debrecen);  so on his behalf let me draw your attention to an article that is forthcoming in LT 17(2) 2013 (to come out before ALT 10), introducing LT's new feature "What exactly is ...?":

Vincent, Nigel. 2013. Conative. LT 17. 269-289.

In his survey of grammaticalised forms/constructions for expressing (unsuccessfully) attempted rather than completed actions, Nigel (p178) also mentions periphrastic constructions with 'see', widespread in Papuan languages (source:  Foley 1986: 152).

Further down on that page we meet the Burmese "experimentative", and so on.

If you have sufficient evidence for a separate "verificative", do write it up!  We don't want "What exactly is ...?" to end up instantiating a conative, tentative, frustrative or some such undesirable notion.

Frans