accusative + analytical DO markers

Zakrzewska, E.D. E.D.Zakrzewska at UVA.NL
Sat May 25 16:37:50 UTC 2013

Dear Sergey,

A good example is Polish, compare:

-         zaatakować ‘attack, assault’ + NPACC

-         napaść ‘attack, assault’ + preposition na with a NPACC (a grammaticalized allative construction).

Another example may be Coptic (Afroasiatic, the final stage of Ancient Egyptian). In Coptic there are two strategies to mark the direct object: head-marking and dependent-marking. Head-marking involves the use of the so-called construct or pronominal state allomorph of the verb to which a nominal, respectively pronominal direct object is attached. When the verb appears in the absolute state allomorph, dependent-marking of the object by means of a preposition is required. Several prepositions can occur in this function, of which n- (dedicated preposition) and e- (grammaticalization of the allative) are most important.

Basic information about Coptic grammar can be found in Reintges C.H., Coptic Egyptian (Sahidic dialect): a learner's grammar, Köln: Köppe, 2004. I’m currently working on a comprehensive article on transitivity in Coptic, to be published in the Proceedings of the 10th International Congress of Coptic Studies in Rome and I can send you a copy soon.

Best regards,

Ewa Zakrzewska