accusative + analytical DO markers

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at MAIL.HUJI.AC.IL
Mon May 27 18:48:41 UTC 2013

In Pieter Muysken's (2008) *Functional Categories*, he shows an interesting
situation in Quechua: borrowed appositions (< Spanish) co-occur with
inherited case-markers, e.g., *hasta X-kama* 'until X-until.' I think
Dikker point out similar things for Media Lengua, like Sp. *en* + inherited
locative marker -*pi*. So, basically double-marking.

Based on this, one might think that a possible situation that Sergey is
looking for might involve a native flag together with a borrowed one.
Again, looking at Quechuan, this time Ulcumayo (as described by Sanchez in
Lingua 2011 [I think]), there's an example with Sp. origin *a* together
with inherited accusative -*ta*:

Algo gati-pu-n a un niñuta.

Dog follow-DIR-3SG to a boy-ACC

‘The dog follows a boy’

And in Lamas Kechwa, there are more examples, although the details differ.

While I don't know of any such example that's become an established
borrowing in the speech of monolinguals, this does perhaps show how such
double flag strategies can get into a language.

--
Eitan Grossman
Lecturer, Department of Linguistics/School of Language Sciences