[Lingtyp] "become"

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Mon Jul 6 13:43:15 UTC 2015

Dear Eva,

Thanks for this valuable contribution.

I suspect that languages of the small Biakic subgroup of Austronesian
(Biak, Roon and Dusner) might provide a counterexample to your proposed
generalization, but I'm not entirely sure of this. What is clear is that
the form in question, "be", expresses 'give', 'make'/'do', 'become' and
causation, without any valency-changing marking.  (One qualification: in
Biak but not Roon or Dusner, the 'make'/'do' function of "be" has been
largely but apparently not entirely replaced by another lexical item,
"frur".)  What I am not yet clear about is whether the causative
function of "be" in these languages is limited to what you refer to
internal causation. I suspect that it is not, but will need to
double-check this; I'm grateful to you for driving home the importance
of this distinction.

For some more information on the causative function of "be" in Biak, I
would recommend a look at pp. 392-396 of:

Heuvel, Wilco van den (2006) Biak, Description of an Austronesian
Language of Papua, LOT, Utrecht.

Best,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email:gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/