[Lingtyp] Seats of emotions: experiencer pronouns, body-part collocations and similar

Enrique L. Palancar epalancar at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 14:48:43 UTC 2015

Hi Kilu,
Following up with what Guillaume mentions about Gyalrong languages, in the Oto-Manguean languages of Mexico it is also very common to find expressions for emotions based on body parts referring to internal organs. For example, in the Otomi languages (Oto-Pamean branch of Oto-Manguean), there are some based on two elements: one means something like ‘mouth.of.stomach/heart/belly’, the other could perhaps be translatable as ‘liver/gallbladder’. The expressions vary a bit across the languages of this family, but Mezquital Otomi can illustrate a typical case:
Mezquital Otomi:
http://www-01.sil.org/mexico/otopame/mezquital/S045b-DicOtomiMezq-ote.pdf
tü [rá mui]be.adhered.to.surface SG.3POSS mouth.of.stomach‘be sad’
hüm-p-a=[rá mui]be.on.top.of.surface-3DAT-BOUND=SG.3POSS mouth.of.stomach‘be happy’
tüts-w-a=[rá mui]carry.on.onself-3DAT-BOUND=SG.3POSS mouth.of.stomach‘be interested/motivated’
yo [rá mui]?? SG.3POSS mouth.of.stomach‘be compassionate’
po [rá kwe]exit.liquid SG.3POSS liver‘be angry’
Best,Enrique
SeDyL(UMR8202), CNRS7 rue Guy Môquet, 94801 Villejuif (Paris), France<cnrs.academia.edu/EnriquePalancar>