[Lingtyp] Seats of emotions: experiencer pronouns, body-part collocations and similar

Kelsie Elizabeth Pattillo kelsie at uwm.edu
Sun Jun 28 19:47:05 UTC 2015

Along with the references Nick Enfield sent out, I'd also recommend

-Kraska-Szlenk, Iwona. 2014. Semantics of Body Part Terms: General Trends and Case Study of Swahili. Munich: Lincolm.

-Brenzinger, Matthias and Iwona Kraska-Szlenk. 2014. The Body in Language. Brill.

-Kraska-Szlenk, Iwona. 2014. Semantic extensions of body part terms: common patterns and their interpretation. Language Sciences. 44. 15-39.

-Maalej, Zougheir and Ning Yu (eds.). 2011. Embodiment via Body Parts: Studies from Various Languages and Cultures. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

I recommend starting with the Language Sciences article for a good overview of patterns described in the literature as well as many examples from Polish and Swahili. The Semantics of Body Part Terms will provide more cross-linguistic examples and the Swahili data presented in part two should also be helpful. The other titles present chapters on various languages which may or may not be helpful to your paper. I attached a review of Semantics of Body Part Terms I recently wrote for the LinguistList in case it is helpful of determining whether or not you want to read the book.

-Kelsie