[Lingtyp] Seats of emotions: experiencer pronouns, body-part collocations and similar

Mark Donohue mark at donohue.cc
Sun Jun 28 23:50:39 UTC 2015

At risk of adding yet another posting to what is pretty much a universal
phenomenon in language, think about Indo-European.

Most Indo-European languages associate feelings with the organ that pumps
blood. Think of the metaphors, love songs, and poetry associated with
English heart, Spanish corazón, Portuguese coração, French coeur, Greek
καρδία, etc. Think also of English expressions such as “gut feeling,”
"gut-wrenching", “butterflies in X’s stomach,” “POSSESSOR’s heart jumped,”
“POSSESSOR’s heart reaches out to Y,” "cold-hearted", etc., to see how
common (internal) body-part metaphors are in the expression of feelings.

And we could mention expressions in English like smart-ass, dumb-ass, etc.,
to show that associating personal characteristics with body parts is all
over the place (see Van Klinken 2007 for a fascinating contact perspective
on this).

One rich attestation of body-part-as-seat-of-emotion concerns collocations
with _isa_ 'heart, core' from Oirata (De Josselin de Jong 1937), in Eastern
Indonesia:

isa ‘heart, core, contents’
isa aharahe ‘hopeless’ (ahara only appears in this compound; he ‘NEG’)
isa arutu ‘greedy’ (arutu only appears in this compound)
isa elewe ‘dejected’ (alewe only appears in this compound)
isa hanate ‘compassionate’ (hanate ‘distress’)
isa huhule ‘loathe, be sick’ (huhule ‘disease’)
isa huna ‘in the middle’ (huna ‘calf [of leg]’)
isa iliare ‘grow faint-hearted’ (i-liare ‘REFL-transformed)
isa kahare ‘craving’ (kahare ‘spoil, bad’)
isa lolo he ‘anxious, worrying’ (lolo ‘good, true’; he ‘negative’)
isa malare ‘angry, jealous’ (malare ‘sour, bitter, hot’)
isa eme halu ‘repent, regret’ (eme ‘get, cause’; halu ‘remorse’)
isa muduni ‘keep a secret’ (muduni ‘within’)
isa seile ‘hold out, constrain oneself’ (seile ‘draw, pull’)
isa tapu ‘breast, heart’ (tapu ‘kernel, pit, seed’)
isa tapu anaje ‘think over’ (anaje ‘try, fetch’)
isa tapu nanate ‘abhor, shudder’ (nanate ‘APPL-stand’)
isa tapu pai ‘make a keepsake’ (pai ‘cause’)
isa tapu ruru ‘be moved’ (ruru ‘throb, shake’)
isa tutu ‘like, want’ (tutu ‘drink’)
isa umumu ‘forget’ (umu ‘die’)
isa wale ‘gift (out of charity)’ (wale ‘walk, travel’)
isa wara ‘at ease, content’ (wara ‘clear, clean, evident’)
isa pai wara ‘move one’s heart, inspire with sympathy, satisfy’ (pai
‘cause’)

A particularly interesting reference on the subject is Musgrave (2006), in
which we take the widespread distribution of these constructions as a
given, and then examine actual frequencies and elaborations. There is some
additional areal discussion in Donohue & Grimes (2008), and beautifully
nuanced discussion in Van Klinken's work.