[Lingtyp] fear + NEG

m.m.jocelyne.fernandez-vest at vjf.cnrs.fr m.m.jocelyne.fernandez-vest at vjf.cnrs.fr
Thu Mar 19 09:10:41 UTC 2015

That´s right, Hannu, this is still taught as a difference in many French grammars, but in present spoken French the risk of ambiguity has been cut off, as people would way

For 'I'm afraid he'll come'
´je crains qu'il vienne'

(Or rather 'j'ai peur qu'il vienne' - as 'craindre' is high register)

And for 'I'm afraid he'll NOT come':
´je crains qu'il ne vienne PAS'

(Or rather 'j'ai peur qu'il vienne pas'),

So that only the negative meaning is nowadays distinctively marked.

M.M.Jocelyne FERNANDEZ-VEST

Envoyé de mon iPhone