[Lingtyp] fear + NEG

Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:23:31 UTC 2015

Interesting, Anvita,

Yes, my "correction" to the transcription was just in case someone
quoted the example in a paper or something, and in any case...

I also did not mean that the construction was SEMANTICALLY passive
(whatever THAT means cross linguistically); rather that it is FORMALLY
passive (with all that that MIGHT mean, cross linguistically).

AND, finally as you say, the sentence with subjunctive is negative
while the sentence with future is not... Is it then perhaps then, as I
suggested, that the negative is not due to the construction which was
being asked about ("fear") alone, but rather due to an interplay
BETWEEN subjunctive and constructions?

I am not suggesting that this is the case (although I have run across
many such examples in my decades of off-on dealings in Hindi, I have
no "feel" for the Hindi construction); I am simply wondering....

curious one-time-Indologist

mike

--
mwm || *U*C> || mike || माईक || માઈક || মাঈক || மாஈக ||  مایک ||мика ||
戊流岸マイク
(aka Dr Michael W Morgan)
sign language instructor / sign language linguist / linguistic typologist
PCRV, PC Guyana
Deaf Association of Guyana