[Lingtyp] On making these interesting discussions more public

Hedvig Skirgård hedvig.skirgard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 22:58:49 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Thank you all for the very interesting discussions you've created. If I may
suggest, I think many of the arguments and information laid forward here
would be useful to a wider audience.

*Special issue of journal*
Giorgio F. Arcodia suggested a special issue of LT, that sounds like a
great idea. Similarly to a panel debate it'd be nice if there were a few
set questions that all authors had to address. I'd of course prefer if
they're were posed from the perspective of junior diversity linguists, but
I understand that that cannot always be accommodated. (Furthermore, in
interest of my generation and scholars in developing countries, I'd like to
suggest an Open Access venue if possible. I do understand that the journal
*LT* has its reasons for remaining with De Gruyter.)

*LINGTYP mailing list open to public*
Might I also grab this chance to call your attention to the fact that while
the ALT mailing list is only open for members of the ALT to write in, the
archives are public. They're found here:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/lingtyp/ and I frequently link
to them when conversing with other junior diversity linguists who are not
able to access this list directly. I.e. you might be read by more people
than you think. For example, this months discussions can be viewed in its
entirety in threaded format here:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/lingtyp/2016-January/thread.html

If there comes such a time when this mailing list becomes open to non-ALT
members (and/or *LT* becomes OA), I'd appreciate being informed because
then I have a school of fellow junior researchers to add :)! In the
meantime we'll be using the LINGTYP archives and other groups and mailing
lists for discussions on linguistic typology.

And just to pre-empt certain comments: I do understand the point of not
always sharing everything with everyone and open mailing lists can still be
moderated and adminned to avoid spamming and irrelevant/offensive posts.

Best,
Hedvig

*Hedvig Skirgård*
PhD Candidate
The Wellsprings of Linguistic Diversity

ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language

School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia and the Pacific

Rm 4203, H.C. Coombs Building (#9)
The Australian National University