[Lingtyp] What do glossing labels stand for?

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Jan 27 08:13:22 UTC 2016

Östen is right that there is a "general tendency towards fundamentalism"
in us, and maybe by creating e Glossing Rules, we contributed to that
attitude. But while rigidity is often a virtue in thinking
scientifically, it is typically impractical in everday life. And I would
see glossing as a practical necessity of everyday life, not as a
scientific statement in itself.

So I agree with David Gil: The answer is BOTH. Interlinear glosses
should be "faithful to the language-specific categories of the
language.  But at the same time they have to convey information about
the language that is intelligible to someone who doesn't speak it."

When these two goals conflict (as they often do, of course), I would
opportunistically choose the label (or the segmentation) that seems most
helpful to the reader in the context. Using "Gender12" for a Bantu
language is not informative as a transparent comparative concept, but
anything other than the language-specific category would be impractical
here.

On the other hand, the term "Aorist", which I used in my 1993 Lezgian
grammar, can be easily replaced by "PST" (for past tense). In Lezgian,
there is both a Past tense and an Aorist tense, which different meanings
and functioning in the tense system, so from a language-specific point
of view, the difference is absolutely crucial. But in a typological
context, when a Lezgian example is cited for different reasons, it's
perfectly OK to ignore the difference, I think.

So I think that glossing should be context-dependent:
Language-particular papers and books are more likely to use labels for
descriptive categories, while typological works are more likely to use
labels corresponding to well-known comparative concepts. But in neither
case would it be practical to be rigid.

One sometimes reads that "glossing presupposes an analysis", which is
certainly true in some sense, but it is clearly not realistic to hope
that the complete analysis will fit into a gloss. Grammars are often
highly complicated, and putting all the grammatical information that a
form contains into the gloss is often impractical. Thus, readers should
not expect to get everything from a gloss – if they want to have the
whole story, they'll have to read the complete grammar (if there is one).

This is not different in lexical glosses: Lexical meanings differ widely
across languages, and it would not be reasonable to put the complete
meaning of a word into the gloss. Thus, when referring to a mouse, an
Indonesian would use the word "tikus", but this is also used for 'rat'
and in fact to any small rodent. But this does not mean that "tikus"
should be glossed as "small.rodent". Depending on the context, "mouse",
"rat" (or even "squirrel") are much more suitable glosses.

Best wishes,
Martin