[Lingtyp] Edited volume

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Wed Jan 27 08:09:45 UTC 2016

Dear list,
it has been suggested to compile a book about the topics raised in the
recent discussion. For a successful book, we have to identify the following:

- interested audience: OK. The lively discussion on this list proves
that the topic is of interest to many different people

- publisher: "Conceptual Foundations of Language Science" has been
suggested and the series editors Nick Enfield and Mark Dingemanse have
stated that such a volume would fit the series

- volume editors: this is less clear. I would suggest that there should
be at least one senior linguist among the editors. Everyone has a high
workload, and in my experience senior researchers find it easier to make
other people respect deadlines. YMMV.

- authors: it is not clear who among the participants intends to write a
paper

- topics: the papers should cover different strands of the discussion.
Ideally, papers should cross-reference each other but should not overlap
too much. It is unclear to me how this could be achieved.

- coherence: a clearly identified research question would help people
structure their argument

The topic is highly relevant, but it also rather novel. It might be a
good idea to have a workshop at one of the upcoming LSA/SLE/ALT to
arrive at a common ground and maybe descriptive apparatus for
formulating our ideas on the matter.
What do others think?
Best
Sebastian