[Lingtyp] Americanist contributions to typology

Doris Payne dlpayne at uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 4 17:36:10 UTC 2016

Studies of American languages have crucially contributed to post-Greenbergian word order typological understanding, including Derbyshire's ground-breaking work on the existence of object initial languages, various authors' work on "discontinuous constituents" of various sorts, information structure motivations for order variation, and so-called "inconsistent" order languages.

- Doris Payne

Doris L. Payne
Professor of Linguistics
University of Oregon