[Lingtyp] Question on reduplication for translative sense

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:25:12 UTC 2016

Dear Randy,

In Japhug a few nouns can be reduplicated to derive locational adverbs:

tʂu 'road' > tʂɯtʂu 'on the road, along the road'

I haven't yet written on this topic, but this example is in my dictionary:

Jacques, Guillaume. 2015. *Dictionnaire Japhug-Chinois-Français, version*
*1.0*. Paris: Projet HimalCo. URL http://himalco.huma-num.fr/.

Guillaume

RandyLaPolla at ntu.edu.sg>:

> Hi All,
> In the Rawang language (Tibeto-Burman, Northern Myanmar/Burma) I find a type
> of reduplication where the reduplication of the last syllable of a common
> noun, proper noun, or other word referring to a location can mark a
> translative (going through or by, or by way of) sense, as in the
> following examples:
>
>             a.   *Shı̀gùnggùng dı̄ráı̀.*
>
>                   *shı̀gùng-gùng         dı̄-rá-ı̀*
>
>                   mountain-REDUP    go-DIR-I.PAST
>
>                   'He came by way of the mountains.'
>
>             b.   *Zı̀dv̀n dv̀n               *'by way of Zidan
> (thatch-growing plain)'
>
> In most other TB languages the translocative sense (along with other
> locational senses) would be marked by postpositions, so this is unusual.
>
> Has anyone found anything like this particular use of partial
> reduplication in other languages? If so, could you please send me
> references?
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Randy
> -----
> *Prof. Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA* (羅仁地)| Division of Linguistics and
> Multilingual Studies | Nanyang Technological University
> HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 | Tel: (65) 6592-1825
> GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6795-6525 | http://randylapolla.net/

Guillaume Jacques
CNRS (CRLAO) - INALCO
http://cnrs.academia.edu/GuillaumeJacques