[Lingtyp] Question on reduplication for translative sense

Anvita Abbi anvitaabbi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 16:19:35 UTC 2016

Dear Randy
Most of the Indo-Aryan languages convey translative meaning by
complete/total
​re​
duplication of location nouns as in the following Hindi examples. However,
I have no idea of any language using partial reduplication.

1 *s**əɽək s**əɽək    *
*​*
*ɟa-o*

    road road    go-imp

   ‘Go by road’

2. *ɟ**ə**ŋg**əl **ɟ**ə**ŋg**əl ja-oge             to     cʰupe     rah-oge*

​f​
orest forest go-2sg.fut   then  hidden stay-2sg.fut

  ‘(if) you go by forests you will stay hidden’

​Anvita​

On Jun 15, 2016 2:24 PM, "Randy John LaPolla (Prof)" <