[Lingtyp] Lexical nominalisation of property concepts

Luigi Talamo luigi.talamo at unibg.it
Fri Jun 17 13:53:00 UTC 2016

Dear all,
thanks again for all your answers. I am glad that my questions has
triggered such an hot and interesting discussion.
Like David, I have been fascinating with parts-of-speech (un)markedness
since my introduction to linguistic typology.

As for marking strategies, in my research on 'referential properties', I
have simply applied what has been done for 'predicative properties', that
is, I have assumed that in Italian something like 'il buono' is
structurally more marked than something like 'il cane buono'  'the good
dog' and less marked than 'il cane è buono' 'the dog is good'. Still, we
have some examples in Italian where predicative properties can be
constructed without verbal copula and something like 'quello buono' 'good
one', probably falls under this construction.

I may be wrong, but I think that from a cross-linguistic perspective we
still do not have a clear description on how property concepts function as
referents; in David's map, adjectives can be syntactically nouns in some
languages, but they can be functionally either, as far as I can see from
Randy's explanation of Mandarin 'hong de', predicative or referential.

Are there any languages that explicitly mark this difference i.e., which
they employ a dedicated marker for property concept (PC) with referential
function and with argument (i.e. not quality/abstract) meaning? I think
that in Italian the distributional difference between 'il rosso' and
'quello rosso', that is, between a construction involving a simple article
vs. a construction with a complex article (I employ Ch. Lyons 1999
distinction) goes in this direction; the former construction codes a PC
with referential function, the latter a property concept with predicative
function, which may grammatically act as a noun.
Moreover, things are clearer in argument nominal constructions such as 'Non
posso sopportare queste stupid-aggini stupid-NMLZ', 'I cannot stand these
stupid arguments'. Finally, note that the non-argument counterpart of
'quello rosso' is 'l'essere rosso' 'the being red', in which the
predicative adjective red is nominalized by the means of a nominalized
copula construction.

With respect to marking strategy 'heaviness' e.g., 'the definition of
Mandarin *de* as a word ', the issue is not clearer in languages marking
'substantivization' with bound morphemes. For instance, in Lezgian, the
substantizer -da/-di is employed both with PC with referential function:

(Haspelmath 1993:112)
I dünja.da-l qʰsan-bur pis-bur.u-laj gzaf ja.
this world-SRESS good-NMLZ.PL bad-NMLZ.PL-SREL many COP
'In this world the good (people) are more numerous than the bad (people).'

and PC with predicative function grammatically acting as nouns:

(Haspelmath 1993:111)
Hixtin televizor k'an-zawa wa-z? Gweči-di, č'exi-di, rang.uni-n-di?
which television want-IMPF you-DAT little-NMLZ.SG big-NMLZ.SG
color-GEN-NMLZ.SG
'What kind of TV set do you want? A little one, a big one, a color one?'

whereas inflected property words are employed without further marking in
Rawang (but, what about the TOPIC marker?):

Rawang (LaPolla & Poa 2001:258)

tē-rì nō shvnvt-í wvp yàng-à
large-PL TOP gun-INS shoot TOPyrs-3PL.PST
'The big ones were shot by gun.'

Still, I do not know how to classify tē-rì. Perhaps languages lacking an
adjectival category or showing `verby' adjectives do not display an exact
distinction between PC with referential functional and substantivized
predicative PC.

Thank you, best.

Luigi